Fundamentals of Business Analysis
What you'll learn
- Learn the foundations of business analysis
- Learn how to gather requirements from stakeholders and documentary sources
- Learn how to analyze, diagram and model requirements
- Learn how to present requirements effectively and gain acceptance
- Learn how to manage requirements assets after the project is complete
- A strong desire to learn business analysis
- Some business strategy knowledge helpful
- No technical background required
This course provides everything you need to get started in your career in business analysis.
Our courses focus on how analysis is performed in the real world, and they're full of examples, case studies and lessons learned from actual Business Analysts on the job.
This is a perfect first course in any business analysis curriculum.
1. Business Analysis
- Overview of Business Analysis
- Overview of Requirements
- Role of the Business Analyst
- Who are they? And why do they matter?
- The most common stakeholders: The project team, management, and the front line
- Handling Stakeholder Conflicts
3. Life Cycles
- Systems Development Life Cycles
- Project Life Cycles
- Product Life Cycles
- Requirement Life Cycles
- Seventh Morning's Requirements Development Life Cycle
4. Forming Requirements
- Overview of Requirements
- Attributes of Good Requirements
- Types of Requirements
- Requirement Sources
- Gathering Requirements from Stakeholders
- Common Requirements Documents
5. Transforming Requirements
- Stakeholder Needs Analysis
- Decomposition Analysis
- Additive/Subtractive Analysis
- Gap Analysis
- Notations (UML & BPMN)
- Swim Lane Flowcharts
- Entity-Relationship Diagrams
- State-Transition Diagrams
- Data Flow Diagrams
- Use Case Modeling
- Business Process Modeling
6. Finalizing Requirements
- Presenting – 10 Tips
- Presenting Requirements
- Socializing Requirements and Gaining Acceptance
- Prioritizing Requirements
7. Managing Requirements Assets
- Change Control
- Requirements Tools
Who this course is for:
- Novice to intermediate Business Analysts
- Professionals looking to transition into a Business Analyst role
Don Hussey serves as Managing Director with NorwalkAberdeen.
Prior to founding NorwalkAberdeen, Mr. Hussey was Senior Vice President of Global Internet Strategy for a global financial institution. In this role, he drove online strategy for the private bank, oversaw all business analysis and project management for the bank’s online channel, and overhauled the way these functions were run.
Before this role, Mr. Hussey was a star Project Manager/Business Analyst with a major investment bank. There, he managed the delivery of numerous critical projects and participated on teams that re-engineered the project oversight process and introduced user-focused development disciplines.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Hussey held various roles in sales and sales management, client service, operations, and technology.